Friday, April 23, 2010

A light between my houses

Run along the river ink,
take the GWB,
take the D--
smell all the flowers,
the garbage men swinging off
their trucks in the night.
Pass tugboats on the water.
Move your feet faster.

Shake the cherry blossoms
from their stems,
it's springtime, do it to me, sing.
Suck the salt from all the benches,
pet the dogs, if there are any.

Sing to me of the slate,
of the grey river slipping,
of the seagulls diving
towards the pavement or water;
fleeting as they are,
the ground is still thawing.

Sing to me, sing,
out in the open,
talk about thirst, the aether,
the earth, sing to me, softly,
I'll drink the whole river.

Sing to me, keep going,
the flowers keep growing,
sing to me of the sea,
of the food in the body.

Sing to me, salty,
move down Manhattan,
sing to me, sleeping,
the river's still flowing,
sing to me, sing to me,
the animals all able,
sing to me, sing,
I'll swig the salt
from your navel.

No comments:

Post a Comment