Friday, April 16, 2010

In Her New Place

I was not allowed to drive my car to the center.

They said

1. Only I was allowed to see her

2. I was not allowed to know her location,

her place

in this

metropolitan waiting room

as if I

would help her hasten her death.


The white van came for me

at 7 in the morning.

I had been sitting on my four poster for an hour,

imitating my religiously hungover self, me

as solitary space cadet

I heard the beep

two times

the sound of maids punching in my room code,

“nandito na ang kotse, ma’am.”

I’ll be down in 5.


I surveyed my room,

Reached for a large canvas bag to fill with

  1. inspirational novels, poetry collections
  2. good music released over the last two years
  3. my unanswered letters – each one unopened and deliberately sealed, with words, stickers, tape.

Do not tamper.

  1. black lace dress I wore to the last masquerade

But she doesn’t need it in there.

She doesn’t need to know

our world goes on without her

and I live my life too.

No comments:

Post a Comment